Monday, May 16, 2011

Cheap Haircuts

In an effort to start saving money now, and also transition into a more low key lifestyle, I've been looking for low cost alternatives to my expenses. I had a slight victory this week, in the haircut department.

My hair gets pretty shaggy pretty quickly, and I find myself needing a haircut as soon as my bangs start to get in my eyes. Now, there is an even cheaper alternative to my method, which is to get a friend to do it for you, but I haven't found anyone willing to do more than a buzz, and I don't look good as a jarhead. So I expanded my options, and found beauty school.

Now, it seems like every town has a beauty school, where young women - and men - go to learn how to give manis and petis and cut hair. They are constantly looking for live test subjects, and will give haircuts for much cheaper rates than a salon. For example, if I went to a place like CuttingCrew, our local in Binghamton, a cut with a tip would run me anywhere from 17-20 bucks. At the beauty school? Ten bucks. All you have to do is sign a waiver saying that you won't bitch and moan if a young stylist to be messes up your hair. Or lops off an ear. Cuz it's hard out there, learning to cut hair.

So next time you're in need of a cheap cut, look up a beauty school.

No comments: