Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Listen Old Man

Listen old man

I’m sick and tired of this game. I respect you and everything you’ve done in this sport. Maybe you could respect my enthusiasm and what I want to do. Instead of constantly trying to find ways to bring me down and reassert your alpha-status, maybe you could be a little more supportive.

I was thinking about another boater, Tommy Hagg, who had to deal with this type of nonsense from damn near everyone. Sure, some of it was self-inflicted – you don’t get to call yourself Eddy McGnarlz and get away with it – but at the end of the day, nobody was directly hurt by anything he did. And he had some good ideas on how to grow the sport and advance into the upper echelons of canoeing.

And now I get a bit of shit from a few people. I don’t have the combative personality of Eddy McGnarlz, at least I don’t think I do. I’m very passionate and very excited about whitewater canoeing, and I want to share that, but I’m not disrespectful, and I try not to step on toes. So when someone constantly tries to bring me down, and tell me that I might as well just kiss the ring because I’m not going to make it in this sport, I get mad. And now I’m motivated.

I want to be one of the best canoeists out there. By what metric, I’m not sure. But I don’t want to have to say, listen old man, I did this and you only did that. Instead, I want to remain respectful and enthusiastic and just paddle.

Moral of the story? Haters gonna hate. I don’t care. I just want to go boating.

No comments: